On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Joerg Lippmann <jl_li...@donalbain.de>wrote:

> Sorry, but after a year of waiting I still have an expensive brick that I
> can
> neither use as a proper phone (speaker still WAY to low, too unstable, too
> slow, too battery-hungry) nor as a PDA (no usable software available). So I
> really regret my decision to buy it. But then again, it was touted as a
> real
> phone for end-users back then and being a happy Linux-User for 14 years, I
> thought that I could live with some minor flaws...

My experience has been quite different - I've found the OM to be quite a
reliable phone with both the QtE distro, and with the recent OM2009 testing
releases.  I did have to update the alsa config to get decent audio quality
(my FR is off for a buzz-fix now, so hopefully I'll have even better audio
when I get it back).   Both QtE and the most recent OM2009 TR5 are quite
stable, and I get about 36-48 hours on standby, which is consistent with my
wife's iPhone.

QtE was perhaps a smoother, prettier user experience, but was lacking quite
a few applications - although I see that some people are working to allow X
based apps to run with QtE, which might have a very nice result.

The only real gap I find with OM2009 is that I haven't found a calendar app
that supports syncml,  I haven't managed to get bluetooth working, and I've
had some problems with wifi.  From that I've got quite a bit of useful
software - a browser that works reasonably well (woosh) albeit a little slow
on a gprs link, pretty good gps support, some fun games, a decent pdf
viewer, etc.

Warren

--
Warren Baird - Photographer and Digital Artist
http://www.synergisticimages.ca