Hi Xavi,

> Am 25.04.2016 um 13:09 schrieb Xavi Drudis Ferran <xdru...@tinet.cat>:
>
> El Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 11:54:19AM +0200, H. Nikolaus Schaller deia:
>>
>> But I have no idea if the on-screen keyboard can be rewritten in a way that
>> it works with all other GUI applications (not necessarily Qt based!). You
>> would get a problem if you have network-manager and can't type IP
>> addresses... So this might be a big challenge (who doesn't love challenges?).
>>

> I don't really know. But I took a look at the qtmoko keyboard a year
> or two ago (I hardly remember any detail) and got the impression that
> not as it is. But then I don't know anything that could do that. In X
> it is easier, I think. But without X what is the abstraction for a
> keyboard this application should plug into ?

Good question.

> Should there have to be a
> keyboard driver in the kernel or something? Should it pass as a tty ?

That would be an interesting approach. Or we use a pty (or mkfifo) and
symlinks to present a virtual /dev/event node where the keyboard process
can write to...

But I am not sure if X11 will find it because it likely scans /sys for input
devices and not /dev.

Another idea: the X11 protocol has a mechanism that an application can
send keyboard events to the X11 sever. The application that currently
has the focus should then receive them.

> Where does network-manager get it's keystrokes from ?

Looks like something that needs to be analysed. Fortunately it is open
source... Otherwise we would not have any chance.

> I don't know how
> many front-ends for network manager there are...
>
> The Qtmoko keyboard was simpler that X with compose keys and all the
> possibilities to generate characters combining keys (that would be
> wellcome but wasn't there).

I hope that the team can study that before we meet for the workshop.

BR,
Nikolaus