Hi,

> Am 25.04.2016 um 16:53 schrieb Neil Jerram <n...@ossau.homelinux.net>:
>
> On 25/04/16 04:54, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 21.04.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Neil Jerram <n...@ossau.homelinux.net>:
>>>
>>> Also BTW I believe there is lots of QtMoko NIH-ware that is now obsoleted
>>> by better components in general Linux.  For example, connman or
>>> network-manager instead of QtMoko's own networking management, and
>>> offlineimap or mbsync instead of QtMoko's own IMAP mailstore.
>> Well, in my experience such existing tools are rarely optimized for touch
>> and finger operation on small vertical screens. So we either have to tweak
>> them or write something new. Or port something old.
>>
>> That is IMHO a strong point of QtMoko: that it is more or less
>> self-contained for the basic operation without the need to harmonize GUI
>> operation between tools written with Desktop in mind.
>>
>> But I agree that it should interwork with other apps from the standard
>> Debian repositories.
>>
>>>  The interesting parts of QtMoko for me are its UI, such as its launcher,
>>> phone and SMS UIs, and its on-screen keyboard.
>> Rewriting launcher, phone and SMS UI should be not impossible tasks.
>
> It sounds like you've got my point exactly the wrong way round :-)

Well...

> The QtMoko components that I think are _obsolete_ are the infrastructure
> parts that do not have GUIs.  (Or that are primarily non-GUI.)  So clearly we
> should be able to replace those without any significant GUI concerns such as
> touch operation.

I am under the impression (which may be wrong) that QtMoko is already almost a
GUI frontend for many internal processes (those w/o GUI) and isn't providing
may of its own daemons and solutions for behind the scene tasks - except those
essential to e.g. make the device ring or vibrate on incoming call.

> The parts of QtMoko that I think we should _keep_ are precisely the GUI
> parts, because these are well designed and optimized for touch operation.

Ok, the we agreee in what the result should look like :)

BR,
Nikolaus