Hi Jonas,

> Am 03.06.2016 um 23:03 schrieb Jonas Smedegaard <d...@jones.dk>:
>
> I just stumbled upon this old post:
>
> Quoting H. Nikolaus Schaller (2015-11-28 20:08:01)
>> Another (probably easier to solve) issue for the 1GB + 512MB is that
>> we want to provide some default Linux+Debian+LXDE (or something else)
>> in NAND for all GTA04A5 boards we ship. So that you have something to
>> boot into before partitioning and even buying any µSD card.
>>
>> Unfortunately we have not yet managed to squeeze Wheezy nor Jessie
>> images so that they fit into ~450 MB. They end up with ~800 MB.
>>
>> Therefore they would easily fit into the 512MB + 1GB chips, but not in
>> the 1GB + 512MB.
>>
>> If someone has an idea how to strip it better down than this script, please
>> let
>> me know:
>>
>> <http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=config/root/flash-nand;hb=refs/heads/master>
>>
>> (this script already strips unneeded kernel modules and most debian
>> caches).
>
> Above script starts with the following comment:
>
>  "clone the currently running system to NAND"
>
> I suspect the place to save more space is in looking into which packages
> gets installed.  Do you have the script to _create_ the system that I
> can examine and tweak?

Basically:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=config/root/bootstrap;h=1b9ef7784898e08bf0bcf41ce98f718435f99453;hb=refs/heads/master

and then

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=config/root/useful;h=849262736df0ce6067c2f7c9766d729b0879663e;hb=refs/heads/master

The first script debootstraps a new image (either running on a real GTA04 or in
qemu) into a chroot rootfs.
This image boots but has no GUI and lacks important tools. This is pulled off
the rootfs (by tar czf ...) and
results in e.g.

http://download.goldelico.com/letux-debian-rootfs/

20150928-jessie-8.2-minimal.tbz 2015-09-28 09:47        76M

The second script adds useful things incl. X11 and LXDE or XFCE4. The result is
e.g.

20150928-jessie-8.2-lxde.tbz    2015-09-29 00:05        231M

So what is blowing up by factor 3 is X11 + GUI.

Nand flashing is done by the script cited above by trying to copy but prune
parts of
this (running) system from µSD root to NAND root.

I can explain more details later on our workshop.

See you in <2 hours,
Nikolaus