Hi Pavel and others who already responded,

Am 01.12.2015 um 13:22 schrieb Pavel Borecki <pavel.bore...@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> my personal opinions on this matter:
>
> 1. don't risk incompatible hw mixture, which could not be functional
> from hw point of view.
> It means, that if combination of this model of OMAP3 SoC and 1GB RAM is
> unsupported/discouraged from TI, then don't do it.

There is no problem with recommendation (there isn't any). It is just some risk
that
it has only been tested on two BeagleBoard XM units for the Neo900.

> But Neo900 project is using the same SoC, so it seems, that this
> combination (SoC + 1GiB RAM is safe from hw point of view)?
>
> 2. regarding sw support (bootloader)
> There are potentially two projects, which are interested in porting
> newer uBoot and add support for more RAM - GTA04A5 with 1GB RAM and
> Neo900. Especially for second one 512MB isn't an option, so this work
> must be done by them. So, why not cooperate in this too?

In fact we had cooperated for this. I have found that we already have merged the
correct patch into our MLO/X-Loader to handle 1GB RAM:

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-xloader.git;a=commit;h=5489cbb2269dab6a1cf00f68cb6d183628906ed9

So the issue reduces to useability of the OneNAND.

It is not really required for the MLO/X-Loader if it comes from µSD.
But we can't store the boot environment if we can't flash the OneNAND.
And flashing for X-Loader and u-boot is done by our u-boot which does
not (yet) support OneNAND well/correctly enough.

> 2a. regarding bootloader itself - as wise as be able to run vanilla
> upstream kernel, it would be good to have upstream support in bootloader
> too. Because sustainability. If future kernels will change something,
> which reflects in changes in bootloaders, then it will be good to have
> possibility to flash current one. Maybe worth of other subproject as
> gta04-kernel upstreaming like?

Well,  there is no need to do this in a hurry. The kernel gets release
candidates every week and releases every 2-3 months. And you can
simply put a new version on a different µSD and swap them back and forth.

U-Boot also has releases every now and then. But there was no new feature
for approx. 4 years we really need. In other words: never touch a running
boot loader (unless you must).

So IMHO it is not necessary to have quick releases. The last major change
influenced by the kernel we did was to change the partition scheme because
the kernel did grow >4MB binary.

And now we have to think about one new feature: support OneNAND.

Yes, we should switch to u-boot 2015.10 and port all our extensions. But then
leave it as it is for a while...

This is quite some work because it must be finished and 100% tested before
shipping devices.

Of course it can be done in parallel to the GTA04A5 production planning
and setup so that we have some weeks to do it.

Testing is the key bottleneck.

But I have an idea. We might be able to rework one of the "Second Choice"
GTA04A4 board where something is broken to a level that it can't be used
as a phone. But after replacing the memory chip it can be used for developing
and testing.

> Why bother with more than 512 MB of RAM? Because the one OS, which is
> really usable for daily use as phone is Replicant. And according
> personal experience with some older Samsung with 512MB of RAM, 1GB would
> be really nice...
> (this platform and applications aren't resources friendly)

Yes, it would be better - but because someone asked: Replicant works
on the GTA04A4 with 512 MB RAM without apparent issues. Some apps
might of course suffer.

Regarding alternative systems to fit into the 512 MB NAND, QtMoko is a good
choice, but we must first get it compiling again to do adjustments for the
new GTA04A5 hardware.

For X11 systems we just have to find out what needs so much space.
The first A3 and A4 boards were shipped with Debian Squeeze and LXDE on X11.
And it did fit into 512 MB. Only Wheezy and now Jessie increased the
footprint without walking better or faster...

If someone wants to test, please install:

http://download.goldelico.com/gta04-debian-rootfs/20151024-jessie-8.2-lxde.tbz

and tun the /root/flash-nand script from

http://git.goldelico.com/?p=gta04-rootfs.git;a=blob;f=config/root/flash-nand;hb=refs/heads/master

and analyse if there are more things (packages, caches?) we can remove w/o
problems.

To summarise comments: community is in favour of 1 GB RAM and accepting some
potential
work/delay to get the OneNAND working and some default/demo/test OS squeezed
into
the smaller NAND.

I am now also in favour of this approach and will prepare the required tests
and actions.

BR,
Nikolaus