Hello Eric and all,

Yes I agree with you Eric, it is not that simple to have straight answers from the Quran verses even if some answer look straight forward the Tafseer could give you another aspect of the answer.

So the Idea would be to have some kind of questions and the answers will be a list of most relevant verses to that specific topic. the verses could be ranked from the more relevant to the less relevant to the topic.

Maybe if we integrate a concise Tafseer along with the relevant verses it will be more useful and will be more likely to help answer the question.

Wajdi

Quoting Eric van Lit <fifkik...@hotmail.com>:

Hi Kais and everybody else,

I want to point out that the questions you suggested all revolve around one word:

Allah - Who is Allah?
Muhammad - Who was Muhammad?
Islam - What is Islam?
prophets - Which prophets are mentioned in the Quran?
Solomon - Is Solomon mentioned in the Quran?
Jesus - What does the Quran say about Jesus?
religions - List the religions mentioned in the Quran.
If you stick with questions like these, what is the difference with an index or concordance? Or is your intention to generate a coherent answer from the relevant verses? If so, I would say that paraphrasing the word of God is not a good idea (this objection is similar to my objection to the pronoun "resolution"). Also be aware that much of the Quran is context dependent and so one cannot lift one verse up and present it out of its context; important nuances might very well be lost (not to mention the extensive literature on asbab al-nuzul, tafsir, sirah, ahadith etc. to contextualize the Quran even more).

Yes, we live in a time where it seems that everything has to be summarized in one catchy quote (i.e. if it doesn't fit in a Twitter tweet, it's not important to read) but I honestly don't think an approach like that to the Quran is a correct one. The very character of the Quran - and I mean for example its lack of one big narrative and its apparent contradiction throughout the text - forces the reader to spend time on it, to read bigger parts of it than just some verses here and there. To decompose the Quran to its verse-structure (or do you want to cut into even smaller pieces for this?) and put it back together in an order you deem best is a guarantee for losing its aesthetics and thereby its unique character.

So to conclude, is what you want pretty much the same as an index/concordance? Then go with that. If you think the QA-system would be different from that, please take note of the pitfalls I've indicated here.

Just my 2 cents of course.

Eric van Lit
M.A. student McGill University