>Thanks for the replies. I did not have Mode32 installed (does that run on
>an SE anyway ?).

No it doesn't

>Gamba, are you saying that maybe my Harddisk is damaged in some way ? Bad
>sectors perhaps, maybe that would explain the crash on installation.

Probably not bad sectors if it was working OK before.
But it's worthwhile checking that out too, with Apple HD SC Setup, which
has a test mode.
HD SC Setup would be on the same Disk Tools floppy that has Disk First Aid.

Disk First Aid checks for file directory errors.
HD SC Setup checks for hardware integrity.

It's always a good idea to run both of them before installing new system
software.

Gamba