Shaun,

The first thing that I'd do is to put a new battery in to remove that as a possibility. Otherwise the flaky results may just a symptom of a missing battery and may not be some deep dark unknown problem. The battery's internal resistance may be a part of the circuit that allows the pram memory element to work, even when external power is on. I've seen it in other circuits.

al