Please distribute to others who may be interested...

You are hereby invited to a seminar in our twelfth interdisciplinary series
on Evolution, Complexity and Cognition <http://ecco.vub.ac.be/?q=node/108>
(ECCO 2015-2016)

*We will have a double seminar this time: Florian Kleedorfer at 14h, and
Marjoriikka Ylisiurua at +/- 15h45, with a small break in between. Both
abstracts are below.*
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marjoriikka_Ylisiurua>

Time: Friday June 24, 14h-18h

Place: *room * *D.1.07*, building D, VUB

------------------------------
Web of Needs

Florian Kleedorfer <http://sat.researchstudio.at/en/florian-kleedorfer>

(Research Studios Austria, Vienna)

Abstract:

The Web as related to commerce suffers from a fundamental asymmetry. While
there is a great number of commercial offers available, consumer needs are
rarely made publicly available. While most user-oriented services can only
try to deduce needs from observable behaviour, Web search engines have
privileged access to explicitly formulated consumer needs, which in our
opinion is the reason for their commercial success. However, we believe
that there is much to be gained from explicit formulation and publication
of user needs for the sake of connecting actors with compatible intentions.
Making first practical steps in this direction, we present the Web of
Needs, an approach for publishing needs on the Web of Data and building a
protocol that allows decentralized matching of needs and communication
between need owners. The talk will address the technical approach, its
relationship with the concept of offer networks, and explain the current
state of development as well as envisaged applications and future
challenges.

Riding out the wave. Exploring the moments of overflow in online discussions

Marjoriikka Ylisiurua
<https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Marjoriikka_Ylisiurua>

(University of Helsinki, Finland)

Abstract:

The promise of newly data-intensive science has opened exciting new
frontiers in studying human behavior to better understand human
interactions in a societal scale. My presentation starts by describing the
first phases in our internationally unique opportunity to probe the entire
history of open online discussion forum, the oldest and largest Finnish
site, Suomi24.fi. Combining algorithmic iterations with close reading of
Suomi24 material, we concluded in our first-stage exploratory study in late
2015 that some questions are hard if not impossible to address. However,
Suomi24 forum data is promising material to study health literacy taking
place as an online narrative process in a consumer peer group, by analyzing
the diet discussion topics and defining them as frames, or ways of seeing
the world.

While online discussions are often studied as birth, competition and
dialogue between various frames, I am especially interested in observing
the elements of overflow and shifts in frames, or the moments when “life
beyond the frame has an impact on the frame”. This "change in thought or
behaviour" is a traditional focus in marketing or political studies, but
there is a historical Nordic welfare state tendency to see citizens as
“patients”, who only need correct nutritional information to choose
rationally and eat well. Yet, in modern consumerized Finnish society,
traditional paternalism expressed by public health officials may be
acceptable with regards to alcohol policy, but not as obviously w.r.t.
selection of diets. This tension can also be observed in Suomi24
discussions.

I state that selection of diet, as many other consumer decisions, is less
about understanding and remembering repeated messages from doctors and
nutritionists, than a complex process of negotiation with multiple
stakeholders fighting for consumer attention. My question is therefore
whether and how we could typify evolutive patterns in these negotiations,
using massive online materials available.

------------------------------

Upcoming Seminars

 Our new seminar season will start in October, and there will also be a
seminar on September 23. See our website for the latest news.

See also the ECCO/GBI calendar
<https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=azMyN252aWluM2JoMnU3MXY5OGt2ZzliOGdAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ>
.
You can add this calendar to your calendar application through here
<https://www.google.com/calendar/ical/k327nviin3bh2u71v98kvg9b8g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>

More info about the ECCO seminar program: http://ecco.vub.ac.be/?q=node/108
<http://ecco.vub.ac.be/?q=node/108>

--