On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 20:40 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > you could always get a dan player to volunteer for
> > > such a game.  he would promise not to spend more
> > > than 1/2 hour on the game, and mogo would play
> > > postally.
> > >
> > > i'd be very impressed if mogo could "give him fits".
> >

> > What do you mean by dan level?   I don't mean "high dan", I mean 1 dan.
>
> So that I can follow this discussion, how would be the "kgs level" of this
> player (it is the only level I have access to when looking at the results of
> game)?

Wouldn't it be 1 dan on KGS?

Maybe the group can help me extrapolate.

What estimated (or actual) rating would gnugo 3.7.4 have on KGS?

Whatever rating that is,  would it play better or worse at 9x9?   In
other words, if it were EQUAL to a 15 kyu player at 19x19 for example,
would it be better or worse at 9x9?

On CGOS, gnugu_3.7.4 is rated 1720.   MoGo is is in the 2100-2200,
presumably it's save to assume it is significantly stronger.

But if we can assign an ELO rating to Gnugo 3.7.4, then we can add 300
or 400 to get Mogo's current ELO rating.

We will then know approximately how to estimate what a 1 Dan players ELO
would be (once we know about what kyu level gnugo 3.7.4 is) by
extrapolation.   (About 100 ELO per kyu as I understand it.)

Then if we estimate the ELO of a 1 Dan player, we can estimate what
percentage of games Mogo would win now, and how much it needs to improve
to be equal.

This would all be somewhat speculative of course but it would give us a
rough idea of where we are.   I would be willing to be conservative on
all the calculations - by assuming Mogo isn't as strong as we think,  a
doubling in time does not add as much ELO strength as we know it does,
etc.

We would have to estimate the improvement expected from extra thinking
time.  The Mogo team probably already has estimates,  but I have my own
too based on experiments with Lazarus.   My studies show that it's about
the same as chess used to be,  about 100 ELO points for a speed
doubling.   This may not be accurate for higher levels - I don't really
know for sure.

I would be willing to assume only a modest 50 points per doubling, to
get what I would consider a very safe lower bound.    If Mogo is
averaging approximately 10 seconds per game on CGOS to achieve 2100,
then I've estimated about 16 doublings of speed if it's been given 1
week per move.

That is 800 ELO points even using very conservative calculations.

Yes, I know a lot of this is supposition but I'm confident that the
program given a hypothetical 1 week per move would be pretty
impressive.

I don't feel these calculations are unreasonable or way out of the
question - we have seen that UCT is very nicely scalable.    I have not
forgotten the computer chess lessons of the past either,   where 1 ply
gave 250 ELO points but everyone said that formula would not apply to
the next "ply".   People were silly enough back then to believe that
after 6 ply searches going beyond wouldn't help any (or very little.)

- Don