A decade ago only a few programmers (in computer go) even knew what
scalability was.   Most of the programmers were writing patterns
and not focused on scalability and this hurt them.

I believe it's starting to become more appreciated and the skill
will improve more rapidly.   Of course there is some questions
about how long Moore's law will hold.

- Don