Hi Ray,

You mentioned that you think GO is different that Chess,  let's
examine if that is true with regard to being able to use extra
time effectively.

In Chess, good players will spend hours analyzing openings
in preparation for tournaments.    They imagine that if
they put a lot of thought into a difficult position that
they often encounter,  they will be able to find a better
move than what they might come up with over the board.

If what you are saying is true, this is a waste of time.
They should not be able to produce better quality moves
than what they produce over the board.

Years ago A player in the chess
club kept beating me over the head with a non-standard
opening move that was difficult to refute.   I got sick
of this,  sat down in the privacy of my own home and
didn't get back up until I discovered the correct
response.    In effect I consulted a much stronger
player, myself, given a lot of extra time.   I think
I spent about 2 hours on this - so it was as if I consulted
a player a few hundred ELO points stronger.   I found
a move I had no chance of finding in 20 or 30 seconds,
even after repeated ad-hoc unstructured attempts.

As soon as a started playing this move,  my opponent
stopped using it and he had to work harder to beat me.

It seems really odd to me that you are incapable of
doing this in GO, or that the games are too different.

If that's the case, then I prefer Chess, it is a far
deeper game.   I would find any game boring if it was
so limited that there is nothing to think about that
can't be seen in just a few moments.

In every game of Chess (or GO) puzzles of varying levels
of difficulty are presented.  How difficult those puzzles
are depend on your strength.  But there will always be
a few that are difficult for you,  but can be solved.
There will always be a few that are too difficult to
solve in the time available but you are perfectly
capable of solving given enough (or a little more)
time.    Even if only 1 or 2 positions per game are
like this,   you will play a stronger game if you are
allowed the time to solve them.   It doesn't matter
if the other 150 moves you play the same and the extra
time didn't help.    But 1 or 2 positions per game
is probably all that's required to move you up a rank.

Maybe in your case it's different.  I know of chess
players who have been playing for many years and they
have their system - they play more or less automatic,
and they probably don't benefit from extra time and
they never get into time-pressure trouble.  But
that's only because they have stopped thinking.   They
only need a glance at the board and they are predictable.
Usually the players that get to this point are relatively
strong but you will never see them make any additional
improvement.   They don't use time to exercise their
imagination because they prefer to stay comfortable.

>From your own description you imply that you are a GO player
like this.  You are convinced that you can't produce
a move higher than your strength level no matter how
much time you are given.   I would quit the game if
I ever felt like that.  How boring is that?

I also can't understand the point of correspondence
chess if you are correct that extra time doesn't
produce higher quality moves.    I know that
that the great correspondence players invest a
lot of time in their moves.   Do you believe they
are misguided?

Or are you just saying GO isn't like this?  You
either are strong enough to know the best move
or you will never be able figure it out no matter
how much time you are given.

Maybe I will post about why I think humans improve
MORE with time than computers.

- Don