If I recall correctly, someone spoke of constraining the opening moves to the
3rd,4th,and 5th lines in the absence of nearby stones, or something to that
effect. What was the impact of this experiment? I notice the recent discussion
of the need for a lot of thinking time to find good opening moves; would this
thinking time be reduced with a better-than-random selection of opening moves
during the playouts? If fuseki and joseki databases were used to bias the
playouts, would the speed and quality of opening play improve?

One concern about using expert knowledge of this sort - what happens when one's
opponent plays "out of book?" Human players often find this frustrating - we
sense that moves which deviate from joseki are wrong, but finding the correct
refutation under time pressure is not always easy.

To address this concern: at least one MC player uses an opening book; would it
be profitable to automatically analyze past losses, and devote a few 100k
playouts to look for better replies to plays which were favored by opponents in
past games? This would be the analogue to advice often given to human players:
study your own lost games; look for improvements.

Unfortunately, an opening book does not generalize well; learning a better move
for position Xi won't help with position Xj which differs by even one stone
from Xi. What sort of move generators would cope with the vast number of
similar positions? A single stone ( a ladder-breaker or a key point which makes
or denies a second eye, for instance ) can make a large difference in the
score, but one hopes that MC playouts would discover the negative consequences
of moves which are "almost but not quite right."