Le jeudi 8 février 2007 17:06, Sylvain Gelly a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> > Is there any known (by theory or tests) function of how much a increase
> > in the strength of the simulation policy increases the strength of the
> > MC/UCT Program as a whole?
>
> I think that is a very interesting question.
> In our work on MoGo we found that there could be a decrease of the
> strength of the MC/UCT program while using a stronger simulation
> policy. It is why in MoGo it is more the "sequence idea", than the
> "strength idea". Our best simulation policy is quite weak compared to
> others we tested.
> But we have further experiments, in a work with David Silver from the
> university of Alberta. We found out that the relation "strong
> simulation policy" <=> "strong MC program" is wrong at a much larger
> scale. So the "intransivity" is true even with much much stronger
> simulation policies.

One simple explaination could be that a random player shamelessly tries "all"
moves (very bad ones but also very nice tesuji) whereas the "stronger" player
is restricted by its knowledge and will always miss some kind of moves.

Things alike were reported by D Doshay and Sluggo, which is limited by the
underlying gnugo, no matter how deep/wide it searches.

Alain