On 8, Feb 2007, at 6:42 PM, Don Dailey wrote:

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:36 -0800, David Doshay wrote:
We had this same problem and wasted a huge amount of time and
energy on trying to determine the "right" canonical key. I felt both
proud and stupid when I realized: it really does not make any
difference which is the canonical key, so we just declare the first
one that we find to be the canonical. The rest are the transformed
versions.

Yes, that would work here perfectly.  You just search all 8 until
you find it or you don't.

No, we opted to store all 8 and have every hash jump to its canonical
hash for the followup. You either get a hash hit with whatever you
calculate off of the board or it is the first time you have seen it. After
you have the followup then you transform that move back.

We chose this method because we do all of our book storage while
NOT in a game, but offline at another time. I also took this path
because I feel that RAM is "free."

Cheers,
David