One way to provide instrumentation for collision detections is
to either reserve a few bits for the purpose, or allocate a
few extra bits for this purpose.

For instance,  if you have a 64 bit key, use 60 bits instead
and let 4 bits be for collision detection.  If the 60 bits match,
but the 4 bits do not match, then you can report a collision
in your log file.  You will never get a false collision reported
but about 1 out of 16 collisions would fail to get detected.

So if you are happy with the collision rate of 60 bits,  then
you can be about 16X happier with 64 bits!

You could of course extend this to 8 bits for instance,  and
then only 1/256 would fail to get reported.

- Don