On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 10:49 -0400, Álvaro Begué wrote:
> I am a big fan of UCI, and it would be great if we could use a similar
> interface for go.
>
> The only part I would probably not try to reproduce for go is the
> pondering scheme. In chess assuming the opponent had moved the
> predicted move was the most popular choice by far, so it was ok to
> have it ingrained in the protocol, but in go this is not the case and
> we should probably expect the engine to indicate PV lines that include
> the opponent's next move.

But the engine reports the move to ponder on and is free to reject
the ponder protocol.   I suspect it will still be the way that
works best - espcially as the programs mature.

The UCI pondering protocol takes a lot of burden away from
the programmer for implementing pondering and I believe it
is the way to go.

- Don