On Mon, 2007-07-09 at 11:49 -0400, Joshua Shriver wrote:
> I really like the pgn format, just viewing it you can get a feel for
> what is going on. I tried to figure out the SGF format by looking at
> it, and have no clue what's going on.

SGF has a real grammer associated with it and is technically superior.
It provides support for marking up boards and things.  However for
simple storage requirements, you probably don't need that.

However, PGN is wonderfully readable and for what you want more useful
in a practical way.   Unfortunately, it is not "standard" for GO and you
will be sorry if you want to be able to see a game using a reader for
instance.

I would stick with SGF for Go.  It's isn't that difficult to figure out.
You can grab an SGF from somewhere and use it as an example.

What we be really useful, is a conversion utility so that you could use
both.  PGN is more compact but if you zip or compress games it probably
doesn't make any difference.