On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 11:47 +0100, Jacques Basaldúa wrote:
> What you
> call "a dirty hack", patterns deeply implemented in their brains.

> What you call "a dirty hack", patterns deeply implemented in their
brains.

The dirty hack I'm referring to is the robotic way this is implemented
in programs, not how it's done in humans.  With a pattern based program
you essentially specify everything and the program is not a participant
in the process.   It comes down to a list of do's and dont's and if we
can claim that knowledge was imparted it might be true, but no wisdom or
understanding was.

UCT simulates understanding and wisdom,  patterns just simulates
knowledge.

Again, this is largely philosophical because even UCT programs are
robots just following instructions.   It's all about what you are trying
to simulate and why it's called AI.    I think UCT tries to simulate
understanding to a much greater extent than raw patterns in a
conventional program.