I have the "Neural Network" Book from Bishop. It is also a good book. It puts
Neural Nets into the proper statistical framework.

Chrilly
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: George Dahl
  To: computer-go
  Sent: Monday, July 23, 2007 6:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [computer-go] Hint for good Bayes book wanted

  I own that book and can also recommend it.
  - George

  On 7/23/07, Łukasz Lew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    Absolutely the best book I've seen is:

    Christopher M. Bishop
    "Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning"

    It's totally awesome!

    Strong points:
    - It have both Bayesian and non Bayesian ways explained
    - the explanation is clear
    - figures are so helpful (and aesthetic)
    - it concentrates on prediction and classification and have
    algorithmic perspective
       (contrary to MacKay's book)

    There is a free chapter on graphical models:
    http://research.microsoft.com/~cmbishop/PRML/Bishop-PRML-sample.pdf

    Lukasz Lew