----- Original Message -----
  From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  To: computer-go@computer-go.org
  Sent: Friday, July 27, 2007 3:26 AM
  Subject: Re: [computer-go] U. of Alberta bots vs. the Poker pros

  I don't understand this. For a given hand the odds of winning can be easily
calculated for poker and the best play can be formulated accordingly. It's like
to program a com[uter to win a coin toss. I would be surprised if any side win
big. The only thing a computer can to is to model opponent's behavior, which
may deviate from the best play. What did I miss?

  DL

  A lot. The chance alone is meaningless. It can be very profitable to play a
hand with 20% chance of winning and it can be a desaster. If you have pot odds
of 10:1 the 20% are a good deal, with pot-odds 1:1 its a desaster. The direct
pot odds are easy. Whats in the pot and whats the money I put it. But the
interesting figure are the implied-pot-odds. What money do I have to put in in
all betting rounds and what's the pot at the end. This depends of course also
on the actions of the opponents.
  Another point is: The winning-chance depends on the action of the opponents.
If one raises and the opponent folds, one wins with every card.
  Chrilly

AOL at AOL.com.