Let's cut to the chase and the real issue:

"Monte Carlo techniques have recently had success in Go played on a
restricted 9-by-9 board. My hunch, however, is that they won't play a
significant role in creating a machine that can top the best human
players in the 19-by-19 game."

This statement is more about the feasibility of Monte Carlo techniques
on the 19x19 board than it is about beating the top human player.

The author wants to design an alpha/beta brute force searcher on big
hardware because he thinks IT WILL play a significant role and Monte
Carlo WILL NOT.

Since we don't know if this will every happen in our life-times a more
interesting question in my opinion is this:

Will programs having a significant Monte Carlo component (perhaps UCT)
be able to dominate program NOT having a significant Monte Carlo
component in the near future?

That's really what we are talking about.

I can only guess, but right now I have a strong "hunch" that the basic
Mogo approach is the best way forward.

I know a way we can try to answer that question right away - I will post
about it in a minute.

- - Don