I would not agree with this statement.  I think it is likely that the
current Monte Carlo programs can get good results agaisnt traditional
programs, but I don't think they are as strong against people.  Certainly
they don't play  in a human style.  One of the resons they do well against
knowledge based programs is that they play strange moves (at 19x19).  I
think people are more able to exploit the way the programs play.

I do agree that since monte carlo is scalable, these programs will improve
much faster than traditional programs.

David