On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:

> On 29/10/2007, Ian Preston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > G'day guys,
> > I'm involved in the development of a very powerful and flexible grid
> > software, which we plan to release in January. It is all java based.
> > http://www-nereus.physics.ox.ac.uk/ (bear in mind you can't download
> > it yet and the website is out of date)
> >
> > One of the things I'd like to do on it, once it is finished, is some
> > kind of attack on Go. I've messed around trying to genetically
> > generate algorithms to play go. However this has had to go on the back
> > burner for the moment. The brief attempt I made had no way of storing
> > data between games (I ran out of time) and the best algorithm it came
> > up with was a purely random algorithm... :-)
> >
> > our group is also the one that is doing JPC -
> > http://www-jpc.physics.ox.ac.uk/
> >
> > I'd love to hear about anyone else distributed attacks on Go.
>
> It would be great to see a java port of GoTools by Thomas Wolf[1],
> which is probably the kind of thing that most naturally lends itself
> to distributed attacks.
>
> Does anyone know whether GoTools is under active development? The
> webpages were last updated in 2001...

There is a newer web page
http://lie.math.brocku.ca/gotools/
with links to some recent publications for checking solutions of life and
death problems and a link to http://lie.math.brocku.ca/gotools/applet.html
which is a Java based online service. A standalone Java interface was
developed on and off and will hopefully be ready in the next months.

Thomas Wolf