I don't think traditional go programs "tally features and weights".  They
estimate the final score.

There have been prior global game tree approaches.  Handtalk and GO
Intellect and SmartGo did global searches a decade ago.

This is not to detract from UCT, which works very well.  UCT/MC programs
make moves that look very unnatural, so in that sense they don't play at all
like humans play go.

David