Self-atari is never referred to as suicide. Let's not start now. But you're right self-atari in the playouts is a more interesting topic. You have to allow it sometimes because it is the correct move sometimes.

John Fan wrote:
A question on this topic. When we discuss about suicide, are we referring to the real suicide, or self-atari? I think in some discussions it is referring to the real suicide. In other discussions, seems to be referring to self-atarai.

If we are talking about real suicide, I do not see any point to allow the real suicide in the play out. What would be the gain if we allow the real suicide in the play out. I think its only effect is to introduces more board repetition and more moves in the playout. In very very rare cases a real suicide move is beneficial.

If we are talking about the self-atari, that's a more interesting topic. I find it is very hard to tune. A lot of games of my engine are lost due to completely insane self-atari moves in the early games. Even I have policy to disfavor the self-atari moves, those moves just keep surfacing out.