On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Raymond Wold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Don Dailey wrote:
> > No.   cgos does not use GTP protocol for communicating with server.
> > Also,  I have eventual plans to extend what is communicated to the
> > client and this is not compatible with the current GTP set.
>
> The more you add as requirements on the client side, the more those bot
> coders who can't or don't want to run third party interface code will
> have to implement.
>
> Christoph Birk wrote:
> > That's similar to what I did. I implemented the CGOS protocol
> > directly into my Go-programm. It's very straight forward and I don't
> > have to run a separate client that way.
> >
> > Christoph
>
> It would be a lot more straight forward if there was just /one/ protocol
> to implement. But I guess it's true what they say about standards being
> nice.

In case anyone didn't understand this, I think Don is talking about an old
joke said: "Standards are great, that's why everyone has one."

I like the current scheme where a little program talks GTP to the engine and
then something else (I don't care what) to the server. It would be better if
the little client were written in Perl (there used to be a Perl version but
I don't know if it's up to date) so I wouldn't have to install another
interpreter (TCL).

Álvaro.