--- Mark Boon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 8-apr-08, at 15:13, Don Dailey wrote:
>
> >> Cost-of-ownership is different for everyone of
> course, but despite
> >> Linux being free it never seemed worth it to me.
> > My main point is that MS has been very successful
> at making you
> > feel the
> > way you do.
>
> I don't want to pretend that I'm not susceptible to
> marketing, as I
> am as much as the next person. But in this case I
> don't believe it's
> something that is MS's doing. I have made a few
> serious attempts to
> use Linux and found it a great sink-hole of time. It
> was either
> because some devices weren't working properly or not
> supported
> altogether or the software I needed wasn't available
> in easy to
> install modules, if it was available in the first
> place. I have used
> Linux for work and it's great if you have a
> full-time sys-admin that
> makes sure everything works. Then again, that's true
> for Windows too.

I am a full-time Linux systems admin, and I use it for
much of my personal use also. There's a lot to love
about it, but I still keep a Windoze system around for
several reasons.

One is driver support. I happen to have a nice
(affordable) color laser printer, which I have never
been able to get working on Linux. So whenever I need
to print something, I transfer to Windoze.

The second area is webcam support w/ yahoo messenger.
Pidgin supports neither webcams nor photo sharing.
Most of the folks I chat with are, sadly,
Windoze-bound. There might be a linux-centric
replacement, but if there's a solution wihch is
windoze-to-linux interoperable, I haven't found it.

Lastly, several Go programs are available only on
Windows. I hope this changes soon. Last I checked, the
WINE versions looked rather ugly.

I'm not bashing Linux - I use it and love it - but
there are some holes yet.

Part of the problem, I suspect, is that manufacturers
have no idea how many Linux users are out there.
Practically every PC sold has a copy of Windoze
pre-installed, so their numbers are inflated. When you
trash that copy and install Linux or Solaris or
NetBSD, there  is no obvious uptick in sales figures
to prompt manufacturers of printers, cameras, and
other peripherals to take notice; nothing is
subtracted from Microsoft's coffers, so your opinion
of Windoze isn't noticed.

Terry McIntyre &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]&gt;

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state
education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit
obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]