All  I can say is that if  even burning an ISO CD from windows
frustrates you,   you are probably not going to like Linux.

Having said that, it's a bit  ironic that burning an ISO image is easy
in Linux but that you have to scour the web to find a way to do it in
Windows.    It's no surprise that the only way you were able to find to
do it cost money (although you worked around it by using a demo
version.)     This is extremely typical of the difference between these
two  OS's.       You can even mount a CD image, and make it look like
part of your file system.   For any given random task that you might
need to perform  you are far more likely to already have the right tool
or combination of tools in almost any Linux distribution.     And even
if you don't  you are far more likely to be able to build it quickly in
Unix.

Linux comes bundled with I don't know how many program languages.   Most
distributions have a C and C++ compiler ready to go, along with a ton of
other languages, such as perl, python, ruby and others  that are usually
just installed by default.    Most of the best free tools for Windows
have migrated from Unix and usually are not quite as polished since they
were obviously designed for Unix.   Cygwin is one outstanding example.

I have to say this too:  if you compare a lot of little things,  none of
which may seem very important,  you get this sense that Windows made a
lot of decisions that were not really quite right.    Those decisions
were made in the good old days and may have been good decisions back
then.   However, for whatever reason, Unix also made a lot of decisions
a very long time ago that are still appropriate.     For example file
systems.    Each device in windows must have a drive letter encoded,
such as c: or d: and then the path.    With unix, you don't think in
terms of physical drives,  that is abstracted away.      I can mount a
windows drive and "put it" anywhere I want and it just looks like a
directory somewhere.     Unix has a single directory tree and you don't
need to know or care about physical devices, how many there are,
etc.     I think this was a huge error with Windows.         Another
example is the extra character in text files to distinguish lines.
Not a big deal,  but a minor nuisance, a minor inefficiency.

Probably the very biggest show-stopper for me has always been the
short-sighted windows conceptual model that a physical computer is
"owned" by only 1 person.    This of course made the OS very simple in
the old days and was easy,  but again this is a legacy thing that causes
windows to suffer forever.   And over time, windows has gradually tried
to fix this,  but even  Vista hasn't addressed this.   Unix was ahead of
Vista decades ago in this area.      The perfect example of this is that
when I asked for a computer to host CGOS on,  Dave Dyer was generous
enough to let me use his.    All he had to do was give me an account and
password.        I cannot even imagine asking to borrow someones
"Windows" computer on the other side of the world to do some experiments
or run some tests.    I know it's possible with special software, but
it's a hack, not integrated into the Operating Systems way of doing
things.    To even think of doing it you have to do a lot of
communicating with the guy on the other end,  agree on what software to
use, how it should be set up, etc.        Therefore,  every unix
computer is easily turned into a mail server,  web server, ftp server,
etc.      It's an awkward add-on for a windows computer to allow someone
to get files from you (although I do think windows got it right with
SMB.)       But in general networking with other computers (or users)
is a nightmare with windows and was tacked onto the operating system,
not integrated as part of it like Unix is.

- Don