On May 10, 2008, at 7:01 AM, Carter Cheng wrote:

Thanks everyone for the responses. My go skills are somewhat limited (only 6-7kyu on KGS) so hopefully I am not belaboring the obvious.

I have a few followup questions-

1) What mathematically is a seki? I know this is a local draw but can it be determined statically at some point in all cases using some sort definition without placing stones on the board (i.e. searching). I only know of three cases here- the 1 eye each case with one shared liberty. two shared liberties and the half eye situation.

How about "a situation where there are neutral points yet the best move is to pass"?

3) GTP and time management and scoring after two passes. Are these issues discussed anywhere? Do libraries like Orego and Libgo contain code that already does this which can be used as a reference?

Yes, Orego contains some code for this. If you plan to work in Java, the Orego code is intended to be relatively easy to read, so you might start there.

BTW, Orego has moved to:

http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/Orego.html

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/