On Oct 9, 2008, at 5:52 AM, Don Dailey wrote:

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 19:05 +0900, Darren Cook wrote:
The http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ site, ...

If we, as a community, could come up with a sufficiently detailed
description of light playouts algorithm (see the current "Light
simulation : Characteristic values" thread), there is no reason that
this algorithm couldn't join them.

This is an excellent idea. Go for it!

I suspect that detailing the algorithm sufficiently for non-go players
to implement may be surprising challenging.

I think as long as you supply a reference C (or C++ or java)
implementation it is okay. You cannot beat working code for a tech spec :-).

My concern is that to include all the rules of go, including capture
logic, you need a few hundred lines of code, which might put some people
off.

You can code up a basic MC player in less than a day.   I don't think
non-go programmers are very likely to provide an implementation anyway
but they are free to. We can provide support for anyone that wants to
and we can advertise this.

A real simple reference implementation should be provided.  It should
not be written to be fast, but real clear and easy to understand at a
glance and well commented.

- Don

Rosetta Code (http://www.rosettacode.org/) would welcome this kind of language comparison task.

Ian