From: Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 9:11 am
Subject: [computer-go] simple MC reference bot and specification

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 13:33 +0100, Claus Reinke wrote:
> I have a rough idea of what that might be. And I suspect that keeping
> this
> "de facto standard" implicit has been hiding some actual differences
> in what
> different people think that standard is. Some of my questions arise
> from trying
> to pin down where and why different authors have different ideas of
> what "the"
> standard is. If there has been some explicit standardisation since
> those papers
> were published, I'd be interested in a pointer to that standard and
> its rationale.

I'm going to publish a real simple java reference program and some docs
to go with it and a program to "test" it for black box conformance.
(Actually, it will test 2 or more and compare them.)   I would like to
get someone who writes better than I do to write up the standard in less
casual language but it goes something like this:

  1. A complete game playing program so it can also be tested in real
games.

  2. Play uniformly random moves except to 1 pt eyes and avoiding simple
ko.  When a move is otherwise not possible,  pass.

  3.  Playout ends after 2 consecutive pass moves (1 for each side.)

  4.  1 pt eye is an empty point surrounded by friendly stones for the
side to move.  Additionally, we have 2 cases.  If the stone is NOT on
any edge (where the corner is an edge) there must be no more than one
diagonal enemy stone.    If the point in question is on the edge, there
must be NO diagonal enemy stones.

  5.  In the playouts, statistics are taken on moves played during the
playouts.   If the move is played FIRST (during the playout) by the side
to move it is one data point and the win loss record is maintained.

  6.  The move with the highest statistical win rate is the one selected
for move in the actual game.

  7.  In the case of moves with even scores a random selection is made.

  8.  Pass move are never selected as the final move to play unless no
other non-eye filling move is possible.

  9.  Random number generator is unspecified - your program
should
simply pass the black box test and as a further optional test your
program should score close to 50% against other "properly implemented"
programs.

 10.  Suicide not allowed in the playouts or in games it plays.

 11.  When selecting moves to play in the actual game (not playouts)
superko is checked and forbidden.

 12.  If a move has NO STATS taken (which is highly unlikely unless you
do very few playouts) it is ignored for move selection.

Did I miss anything?  I would like to get feedback and agreement on
this.

Please note - a few GTP commands will be added in order to instrument
any conforming programs.   Haven't figured those out yet,  but it will
be designed so that it can report number of nodes, number of playouts,
average score of playouts, etc.   So the tester may set up some position
and a ko,  and ask for statistics based on the number of specified
playouts.