My current plan is to tackle directly the power of x86-64bits architecture.
Because it's now quite well represented. And there is this "larrabee" project
that may get out in one or two years (48 x86-64bits processors). So my true
goal is to try and see what i can do with my quad Q9300 2.5Ghz running a 64
bits linux. Obviously one need a bit of work before being able to hope to
achieve something with assembly.

 Although if there really is nothing to do about it, i may try to translate
brutally the intended assembly algorithm in java. But it may be quite slow.
Especially with the heavy use of 128 bits rotations. (yes the x86 has a 128
bits rotation instruction). I don't know about java, but the C rotation is not
specified for at least one (or both) the extreme rotation range (like 0 or 32
in 32bits modes). I don't even know how to do a 64 bits rotation in java.
(appart from a time consuming combination of 32 bits ones). So there is chances
that my translation will be quite slow. Also if i go for java, i probably won't
try too hard to optimize : because it is not my target platform.

 So it would been hundreds time more motivating for me if i could run the bot
you hope for on a quad 64-bits x86 environnement. But if you provide a way to
(roughly) test the strength of the bot, i guess i will try it even if it's in
java, because i'm so curious about how my ideas would do with hex. Hex is so
much easier to look at :) No strange "capture" factors. If you give me a strong
assurance (and a nice communication protocol) that you can provide this
testing, i guess i could have a bot ready for the end of January 2009 (be it in
java or in assembly). If it's really fun, i may even end up trying to optimize
it a bit :) Also i would rather work for a fixed size ... (but once again, i'm
willing to do it anyway, although i won't try to optimize too hard with the
variable sizing)

 So the worst scenario would be that i try my ideas and they don't work out
well by the end of January, the bot is so slow and cpu-eater, and it doesn't
even beat out yours :) But i'm really willing to try.

 I don't understand your point about the real-time web site constraint. Do you
mean that you would expect to have hundreds of people playing against the bot.
All instances running on the same hardware and sharing ressources with the all
the web components ? If so, i think it really gets far away from what i can be
involved in. My goal is to design a bot, and then implement it in assembly,
running on a quadQ9300 with 8GB of memory. Ideally i would try to use most of
those ressources. I may try to downgrade from that, but it probably won't do it
to get half a cycle every three seconds, within a 64kb memory frame :). It is
not one hundred percent excluded that i provide a full time server of my own
(although it would probably not be running a 64 bits system, nor dedicate all
ressources to the running instance). But that would be running only one
instance of the bot at a time. And we would have to agree on a communication
protocol. (alike GTP for go). This HTP (Hex text protocol) is probably the way
to go, if people are to get serious with Hex anyway. I'm sure that the protocol
already exists. One would have to agree and pick up a good and easy one.