> Is there any theoretical reasons for the Mogo Opening being built out of
> self play, rather than by spending time increasing the number of
> simulations
> at the root, and after a time, keeping what seems to be the best ?

There are practical reasons: our approach can be used with humans or other
programs as opponent as well;
we can benefit from games launched for other purposes than opening-building;
and we can easily parallelize
the algorithm on grids.

No other reason, at least for me - but these reasons are enough I guess. The
alternate approach is nice,
but is difficult to use for tenths of years of CPU - whereas using
preemptable mode in grids, we can have access
to a huge computational power.

>From a more technical point of view, I think that the idea of using results
of games of strong versions of mogo
is better for avoiding biases in the MC. But it's only a conjecture.
Olivier