On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:20 PM, Jason House
<jason.james.ho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When thinking about the apparent strength loss, I came up with a potential
> theory: consistency. With more simulations, noise has less of an impact. I'm
> going to guess that the known bias of AMAF leads to blunder that is played
> more consistently. Bots with fewer simulations would make the blunder too,
> but also pick "sub-optimal" moves due to evaluation noise.

This is something I noticed while watching a few games on CGOS. The
higher the number of playouts, the more often it plays the first moves
exactly the same. That may lead to skewed results to an individual
opponent. For example, if it always plays the same losing sequence,
the loss ratio against that opponent becomes larger than normal. This
gets averaged out with a large number of opponents, but CGOS has just
a few participants.

Mark