In message <9495573f-28cd-4ce0-b88a-f5443466a...@gmail.com>, Mark Boon <tesujisoftw...@gmail.com> writes
It's difficult to get hard data about this. Go is only the most popular game in Korea. In other countries like Japan and China it comes second by far to a local chess variation.

Possibly Chess is more ingrained in Western culture than Go is in Asia, I don't know really. But Chess has the population-numbers of West vs. East against it. If there are more chess-players than Go- players in the world then it won't be by much. But the Go market is probably a lot bigger. Look only at the money in professional Go tournaments. It's probably an order of magnitude more than the money in professional Chess. But I must admit this is just a guess of mine.

When I last checked server usage, in 2004, the busiest Go server usually had over 20,000 Go players connected. This was much more than any chess server. It (www.ourgame.com) has changed its interface since then, and without being able to read Chinese, I cannot check its current usage.

Nick
--
Nick Wedd    n...@maproom.co.uk