> Many Faces also counts real liberties, and is quite fast enough.
>

> > I can confirm, with a bit of optimization, counting real liberties is
> > only marginally slower than counting pseudo-liberties. So there's
> > really no benefit that I can see from using pseudo liberties.
> >
> > Mark
> >

> > > When John Tromp and I were thinking about these things in 2007 we
> > > decided to switch to counting real liberties instead of
> > > pseudo-liberties. Someone (Rémi?) told us that in the end the
> > > performance difference wasn't very large, and we verified this.
> > >
> > > Álvaro.

Thanks. What is a fast way to track liberties?

I thought about bit arrays. Merging to groups would take O(1), counting
takes O(1)-ish, and memory required would be small.

Of course I could also use STL's "set" structure, but I found it to be
quite slow - it implements a set using a RB-tree. This was actually the
reason I switched to pseudo libs.

-ibd.
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger01