The hash table contains a linked list of nodes with the same hash index.

Your description is pretty close, but I don't remember the exact details.
Yes, I keep around some nodes for while, but eventually old nodes go into
the past and can be recovered.

I actually have fewer total nodes than you do.  The commercial version
allocates 30K nodes per CPU core.  The version in the world championship had
much more, but the commercial version can't be that greedy for memory.

David