I'm not sure whether they meant different things when they were first coined,
but maybe that doesn't matter, and there are two different approaches that
should be distinguished somehow.

When a node has been visited the required number of times:

1) Use patterns, heuristics, ownership maps from the earlier playouts through
it, etc. to calculate a score for each move. Then rank them from prettier to
uglier. At this node, only allow moves within the top N prettiest moves, where
N grows slowly with the number of subsequent playouts through the node.

2) Calculate the score, as in 1). Initialize the win/loss record for each move
*as if* many more "prior" playouts had already gone through this node. Prettier
moves are initialized as if they had a higher proportion of prior?wins.
Typically, it is the win/loss record for RAVE moves that gets this prior
adjustment.

They can be combined too.

If the calculations involved?are expensive, then it is important to hold off
until several playouts have gone through the node. Most nodes don't get visited
more than once or twice.?If they use something like ownership maps, then,
naturally, one has to wait until some data has been gathered.

- Dave Hillis