On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 01:48:05PM -0600, Brian Sheppard wrote:
> About two weeks ago I took Pebbles offline for an extensive overhaul of its
> board representation. At that time Valkyria 3.3.4 had a 9x9 CGOS rating of
> roughly 2475.
>
> When I looked today, I saw Valkyria 3.3.4 rated at roughly 2334, so I
> wondered what was going on.
>
> I found a contributing factor: Valkyria has massively different results
> against Pachi than against Pebbles. It happens that Pachi started playing a
> day or two after Pebbles went offline.
>
> Pebbles and Pachi are both rated around 2200, but Valkyria shreds Pebbles a
> lot more often than Pachi:
>
>     Pachi:   185 / 273 = 67.8%
>     Pebbles: 429 / 503 = 85.3%
>
> There are a lot of lessons here...

So, I'm curious how well Pachi will do against Pebbles. ;-) I'm hoping
that I'm nearing another major improvement in strength soon, so the
current version may not stay on CGOS much longer.

(Curiously, the two identical Pachi instances were even after many games
very far apart in ELO points (about 100 ELO), somehow one of the
instances was winning against the other in about 80% of games; it
corrected itself after few more days without me doing anything, though.
Stochastic environments are funny.)

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
A lot of people have my books on their bookshelves.