In message <5212e61a0911231302j6d838d2dnae1cbc875af0...@mail.gmail.com>, Don Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com> writes

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Nick Wedd <n...@maproom.co.uk> wrote:
 In message <
 5212e61a0911231136t1e83ce37i9375a033fe3e0...@mail.gmail.com>, Don
 Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com> writes

   On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Robert Jasiek <jas...@snafu.de>
   wrote:
    Don Dailey wrote:

       In win game mode [God] will play ANY move randomly that is
     "good
       enough."

    If God is set to play any randomly chosen winning move, yes.

       Since it is omnicient there is no point in talking about
     risk,
       or chances
       in any context.

    For a simple definition of God applied to a single game, yes.
   For an
    entity in strength between God and Devil (who knows also the
    opponent's strategy in hindsight), possibly no. For God without
    hindsight during a tournament, no. For Devil in a single game or
    Devil with tournament hindsight, yes.

    > In a lost game it would play a move at random.

    Why random?

   I don't understand the question.   If all moves lose, how would
   YOU
   select?

   Did you get the point that I'm defining 2 separate strategies?
   One
   is to maximize the points on the board and the other is to not
   make any
   distinction whatsoever between moves except whether they win or
   lose
   the game.

   And I'm trying to make the point that maximizing the points on
   the
   board is a superior strategy because it is a super-set of the
   strategy
   to be only concerned with winning.

 "Superior" in what sense?  Your bang neki strategy is superior if
 you are playing bang neki, and inferior if you are playing Go.  The
 Go strategy employed by MC-UCT programs is superior for playing Go
 and inferior for bang neki.

I don't know what bang neki means but it's superior against fallible
opponent, but against perfect opponent it's not inferior.    You can
argue that it's not superior agianst perfect opponents and I would
agree, but it's not inferior either.     In other words it's greater
than or equal to playing for the win if you are god.

If you are NOT god,  then it's "easier" to play for the win because
there is simply less to think about.   You only distiguish between wins
and losses and not the magnitude of them, which is a simplification for
us mere mortals.       In chess, it is said that WHITE has an
advantage, but that is probably only true for falliable players, since
it's probably a draw from gods point of view.   But for us it's easy to
win when we have the white pieces.

   Let's call this strategy A and strategy B.    Strategy A is to
   maximize
   the points on the board and strategy B is to only distinguish
   winning
   moves.    If you play strategy A, then a strategy B player would
   see
   those moves as a perfectly valid B strategy.     But a strategy A
   player would frown on many of the moves a strategy B player would
   play.

 Are you assuming that the players can examine the entire game tree?

Yes.   I'm saying that strategy A is >= strategy B if you are God (it
will not help against another God but it won't hurt either.   But it
will help you win against a mortal, therefore I say A >= B)

If you are NOT god, then strategy B apparently is better.   It's better
for computers for sure.

Ok, so you were talking about infallible players.

 If you are, I do not understand your paragraph above, the whole
 issue seems undefined.  But if you assume that they (like me) cannot
 read everything out with certainty, I disagree with your conclusion.

I think you actually agree with me.   Strategy A is >= B if you are
God,  otherwise strategy B appears to be best.

  Indeed, I often see players using strategy A in a poor position, by
 trying to play out the yose well, when I can see that their only
 hope of winning the game is to start a messy fight (which none of us
 knows who will win).  I do not consider their strategy A as
 "perfectly valid".

If you are fallible, I agree that strategy B is best.   Strategy A is
just as good for winning as strategy B but only if you are God.
However, if you ARE god,  then strategy A is better than strategy B
against fallible players and against another God player it doesn't
matter.

I think this has been confusing because there are too many frames of
reference here and I probably didn't explain it very well.       I
really only set out to explain why I think the Hahn tournaments may be
harder to play after all because it seems to require strategy A,  which
is harder for fallible players to do as well.    (Humans and computers
have not mastered either strategy of course but I think strategy B is
easier to handle.)

As for the question of which strategy is harder - I am thinking of golf as an analogy. Or rather, a simplified one-stroke golf. Strategy A is like "hit the ball so as to minimise its expected distance to the green". Strategy B is like "hit the ball so as to maximise its probability of landing near to the green than your opponent's did (or will do)". I have no opinion about which is harder. I do think that the latter would be more fun, but that's not relevant.

Bang neki is a form of Go, played in Korea for significant sums of money. The loser (or his backer) pays a sum dependent on the winning margin.

Nick

       In maximize score mode it would choose the move that
     maximizes
       the total
       points taken on the board.  It would be the perfect Hahn
     system
       player

    > for instance.

    Wrong, since Hahn system has an upper score rewarding boundary.
   (The
    thing that punishes me for having taken a "too great" risk when
    killing 70 stones groups.)

    > What I cannot decide is if it is really more

       challenging - I just know it's more challenging to do it
       perfectly.

    More challenging for whom? For God, it is equally boring.

    --
    robert jasiek

 Nick Wedd    n...@maproom.co.uk