Hi,
there is a question that lately crossed my mind. Considering an nxn Go
board, no suicide allowed and with a rule that does not allow repetition of
a position, unless caused by a single pass:
What is the maximum number of board positions that can be run through in a
single sequence starting from an empty board?
Different wording: What is the maximum game length if not counting passes?

It can easily be proven that for n>=3 this number must be lower than the
number of legal positions. I didn't check for n=2, simple bruteforce would
probably solve that.

What happens to the ratio between the number of legal positions and the
longest possible sequence with growing n?

Is this already known? Or does anyone have a clue how to figure it out?

 ~Marc