I like the topic of aesthetics in gameplay. I think the focus in
previous studies in chess was more on compositions (artificial
problems) than on actual games, so the question is not whether a
player plays beautifully, but whether a problem is elegant and
beautiful. And they did come up with interesting measures - certainly
problems where bold sacrifices have to be made, weak pieces are used
effectively against strong pieces, etc are more interesting than
problems that can be solved in expectable and routine ways.
"Heuristics are successfully violated" in beautiful problems, as
Margulies writes.
Would certainly be interesting to define such metrics in Go. Problems
where the only good move violates traditional patterns or "good form"
or is in some other way surprising and interesting, as opposed to just
being hard to find because you have to think through many variations
("neither strangeness nor difficulty produces beauty"). I could
imagine measuring the distance between a heuristic evaluation (the
output of a DCNN for example) and the result of a deep search, for
example.
Many computer scientists have problems with concepts that aren't
immediately open to formalization, or even require psychological
insight, but it's worth it IMHO :)

Cheers,
Hendrik