Hi!

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 01:38:28PM +0000, Aja Huang wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 11:38 AM, Petr Baudis <pa...@ucw.cz> wrote:
> >
> > That's right, but unless I've overlooked something, I didn't see Fan Hui
> > create any complicated fight, there wasn't any semeai or complex
> > life&death (besides the by-the-book oonadare).  This, coupled with the
> > fact that there is no new mechanism to deal with these (unless the value
> > network has truly astonishing generalization capacity, but it just
> > remembering common tsumego and joseki shapes is imho a simpler
> > explanation), leads me to believe that it remains a weakness.
> >

> If you check Myungwan Kim 9p's comments in the video, in the 4th game there
> was a semeai that AlphaGo read out at top side. See the game at
>
> http://britgo.org/deepmind2016/summary

  (It's at ~1:33:00+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHRHUHW6HQE)

  Well, there was a potential semeai, but did AlphaGo read it out?
I don't know, you probably do. :-)

> Unfortunately before the Lee match I'm not allowed to answer some of the
> interesting questions raised in this thread, or mention how strong is
> AlphaGo now. But for now what I can say is that in the nature paper (about
> 5 months ago) AlphaGo reached nearly 100% win rate against the latest
> commercial versions of Crazy Stone and Zen, and AlphaGo still did well even
> on 4 handicap stones, suggesting AlphaGo may do much better in tactical
> situations than Crazy Stone and Zen.

  But CrazyStone and Zen are also pretty bad at semeai and tsumego, it's
a bit of a self-play problem; when playing against MCTS programs, some
mistakes aren't revealed.

  (I guess that you probably played tens of games against AlphaGo
yourself, so you'll have a pretty good idea about its capabilities.
I just can't imagine how will the value network count and pick liberties
or tsumego sequence combinations; it might just have more memory
capacity than we'd imagine.)

> I understand you bet on Lee but I hope you will enjoy watching the match. :)

  I certainly will!  And in my heart, maybe I root for AlphaGo too :)

--
                                Petr Baudis
        If you have good ideas, good data and fast computers,