>> global, more long-term planning. A rumour so far suggests to have used the
>> time for more learning, but I'd be surprised if this should have sufficed.
>
> My personal hypothesis so far is that it might - the REINFORCE might
> scale amazingly well and just continuous application of it...

Agreed. What they have built is a training data generator, that can
churn out 9-dan level moves, 24 hours a day. Over the years I've had to
throw away so many promising ideas because they came down to needing a
9-dan pro to, say, do the tedious job of ranking all legal moves in each
test position.

What I'm hoping Deep Mind will do next is study how to maintain the same
level but using less hardware, until they can shrink it down to run on,
say, a high-end desktop computer. The knowledge gained obviously has a
clear financial benefit just in running costs, and computer-go is a nice
objective domain to measure progress. (But the cynic in me suspects
they'll just move to the next bright and shiny AI problem.)

Darren