Yes, I recall that earlier episode. I would be happy to have a better
relationship going forward.

I wrote some explanation generators for Scrabble and Chess AI, but these were
much simpler systems that I could break apart. E.g., the Chess engine would
play two moves out until a "quiet" position was reached, and then explain which
evaluation parameters were affected. But even this was not easy, because
sometimes after playing out for a bit the AI would "change its mind" by
deciding that the other move was better after all. And evaluation factors were
sometimes too numerous to list individually, even after pruning the factors
that are too small to change the decision. And explanation by "comparing
factors" assumed a linear evaluation function.

So I see huge challenges scaling that up.

Another approach that works well for tree-search games is just to let the human
explore, in the style of an opening library. The engine simply responds to the
moves that the human proposes, creating trees and assigning values to
endpoints. MCTS programs show a "board control" visual, which might be enough
to explain the positional evaluations. Basically: let the human absorb a lot of
case studies.

There was a paper about postal-go where a human player used multiple programs
in this way to construct a phenomenally strong player.