On 31.03.2016 16:54, Bill Whig wrote:
Wouldn't you agree that a lot of people (most?) might might advance more swiftly
> with move suggestions rather than text that they have to work through like a textbook?

I say the opposite.

Move suggestions without any additional information are meaningless.

There are different learning styles, among them learning by example and learning by theory.

Learning by example is not "learning by move suggestions" but is "learning by example moves, example sequences or example positions etc. TOGETHER WITH SOME additional information, such as move together with shape, move together with the positional context, move together with tactical reading and decision-making etc.

I have never seen or heard of anybody learning ONLY by example or ONLY by theory. I see all strong players, including those preferring learning by example, having a good explicit or implicit textbook knowledge.

"swiftly" versus "have to work through" creates a false impression. Learning by example requires very many examples. Learning by textbook theory requires learning an only intermediate number of theoretical bits. (Learning by move suggestions, i.e., without any additional information, is the slowest. It becomes efficient only for AI having the compuational power to simulate thousands of man-years of learning.)

> I haven't ready any of your books, but I've read a
> few Go books and most of them do not do justice to the complexity of the game.

So you have read the wrong books.

"Move
suggestions" would invite the student to think in more creative, and effective,
ways
> than I have seen put forth in any book thus far.

1) Even ABC move suggestion books do not just suggest moves but also provide positional context.

2) You have a totally wrong view on creative, effective thinking if you do not consider the possibility of having it when studying theory.

3) You have read the wrong books.

> Most say that the first thing that one should do after learning joseki is to forget it... .

It is possible that this nonsense is still believed by a majority. Overcome it, see e.g. a report suggesting differently:
http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12951

A better advice is: improve while studying joseki by understanding them and their theory.

The bad proverbs are about learning josekis without understanding: learn, forget, repeat; this effort can demote a player's strength indeed;)

--
robert jasiek