I agree with your main point that the first batch of games will be totally
random moves. I just wanted to make a small point that even for totally
random play, the network should be able to learn something about mid-game
positions as well. At move 100, a position with 50 white stones and 40
black stones is likely to be a win for white, even with completely random
play from there, since white has captured 10 black stones.