How do you interpret this quote from the AGZ paper?
"Surprisingly, shicho (“ladder” capture sequences that may span the whole
board) – one of the first elements of Go knowledge learned by humans – were
only understood by AlphaGo Zero much later in training."

To me "understood" means the neural network itself can read at least some
simple whole board ladders, ladder breakers, and ladder makers. I would
find it a large oversell if they just mean the MCTS search reads the ladder
across the whole board.