I wouldn't find it so surprising if eventually the 20 or 40 block networks
develop a set of convolutional channels that traces possible ladders
diagonally across the board. If it had enough examples of ladders of
different lengths, including selfplay games where game-critical ladders
"failed to be understood" by one side or the other and possibly even got
played out, it seems like the neural net would have a significant incentive
to learn them, step by step.